Sunday 24 April 2016

Do loom bands send you loony?


 So I'm sure we've all been through the loom band stage. That stage where we had to, out of support to our children, wear numerous rubber band bracelets out in public! If you were really lucky you had a matching necklace! And, of course if your child was truly dedicated to the art of loom making you could have key rings with very specific shapes on the them. I was lucky enough to only have bracelets. Then of course this wonderfully creative phase passes and you, dear Mummy are left with boxes of bands. When of course you attempt to throw them away, they become your child's most favourite thing. This is my little rant about loom bands over, thanks for listening. 😉
So the question is what do you do with them when you aren't allowed to throw them out?

My first idea came about when making up party bags. 
My idea was to include a pretty bow for each little girls party bag. I had of course consulted Pinterest on how to make a pretty bow clip. All had including glueing. I did follow the instructions but all I seemed to do was get covered in glue and make a mess. Now I am quite good at making bows due to my many years in floristry but it was the attaching to the clips that was really throwing me. Then I had a lightbulb moment, a genuine lightbulb moment and yes, it included loom bands. 
Shall I talk about it ? Maybe no, probably best to just show you how I did it. 

You will need 



Hair clips - your choice
Pritt stick (have to say that this worked best for me) I'm sure any glue will work. 
Left over loom bands
Scissors
Ribbon
I got my gingham ribbon from my florist wholesalers, but you can get it from Hobbycraft http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/berisfords-gingham-ribbon-blue-15mm/594287-1004

Let's get started 
Cut your ribbon approx 2 foot long 
Turn the ribbon to make a loop on the left hand side. 
Then make another loop on the right hand side. 
Move the left hand tail piece of ribbon over to the right and cross the right over to the left. You will now have a short straight piece of ribbon on the right and a long straight bit on the left. 

Now take the long left piece and fold it behind and then turn it over to the front. You will see a very basic, but obvious bow shape. 


Now you need to pinch the centre with you fingers. From top to bottom, works best for me. 


Now for the first tricky bit. (Although not that tricky so don't be put off). Keep your fingers in the centre of the bow. Take two or three loom bands (try to match or contrast the ribbon) and wrap them around the centre (hope below helps you understand what I mean by this) 






This is what you end up with 


Now to add the bow to the clip. 
Hold the clip (open) against the back of the clip. Take FOUR loom bands in the same colour as the ones you used to pleat the bow. 



Now twist the loom bands around both the bow and the clip. 
Do this a couple of times until the bow is secure. 

Pull out the loom band so it's flat across the clip and not lumpy. 

Now you need to neaten the edges. Turn them over and glue down. Now leave to dry. 



There you go. 
Now I appreciate this isn't  going to use your vast stock of loom bands up, but it's a start! 

And watch this space incase I have more lightbulb moments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment